Is Azure certification worth it?
This question has been on the minds of many IT professionals lately. Microsoft’s cloud platform has been gaining traction in the market, and more and more people are looking to get certified in Azure. But is it worth the effort?
Azure certifications are worth the effort in 2023. Microsoft’s cloud platform is growing in popularity, and demand for Azure-certified professionals is high. Earning an Azure certification will demonstrate your expertise in this rapidly growing area and could lead to career growth opportunities.
Are you considering a certification in Microsoft Azure? In this blog post, we look at what you can expect from an Azure certification and whether or not it’s worth your time and money. Read on to learn more!
What is Azure certification, and what are the benefits of getting certified in Azure?
An Azure certification is a professional certification that certifies your knowledge and skills in using Microsoft’s cloud platform, Azure.
The Azure certification validates a candidate’s ability to design, build, and manage Azure solutions. Different exams cover various topics, including Azure fundamentals, computing, data, networking, administration, and security.
To earn the Azure certification, candidates must pass one or more exams. There are three levels of Azure certification, fundamental, associate, and expert:
- The fundamental level is designed for those who are new to Azure and cloud computing. Examples of Azure fundamental certificates are AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals, DP-900 Azure Data Fundamentals, and AI-900 Azure AI Fundamentals.
- The associate level is intended for developers who have experience with Azure and are looking to validate their skills. Examples of Azure associate-level certificates are AZ-104 Azure Administrator Associate, AZ-500 Azure Security Engineer Associate, and AZ-204 Azure Developer Associate.
- The expert level is for those looking to demonstrate their mastery of Azure. Some expert-level exams are AZ-305 Azure Solutions Architect Expert and AZ-400 Azure DevOps Engineer Expert.
Earning an Azure certification can help candidates stand out in the job market and advance their careers. It is also a valuable addition to any resume.
Some of the benefits of getting certified in Azure include the following:
- The opportunity to develop and improve your technical skills in using the latest cloud technologies.
- Many companies are now looking for experts in cloud computing, whether that’s Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- An opportunity to build your professional network and connect with other IT professionals in the industry.
- The ability to gain recognition as an expert in Azure can help you build your professional brand and advance your career.
Overall, if you are interested in advancing your career as a C# and Azure developer and want to gain an edge over other professionals in the field, getting certified in Azure is well worth the effort.
I asked 103 developers: What drives you to earn certificates?
In October 2022, I passed the first Azure exam, Exam AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals.
Well, I am a C# developer interested in cloud technologies. I have been regularly working with Azure services for the past year or so. Therefore, I wanted to test my knowledge.
This exam is the first of many exams that I will take. Taking exams is a good way to examine your overall knowledge of the Azure platform. Having those certificates as part of a CV is a big plus.
To find out what drives other developers to study and pass the exams, I went to a Facebook group related to Azure and asked the following question: What drives you to earn the certifications?
Over 89% of 103 asked developers thought learning for certificates improved their skills. The remaining 5% answered that certificates improved their current salary. The rest developers answered that certificates helped them to get better jobs.
What do Reddit users think?
I went to various Reddit groups where the question “Is Azure certifications worth it?” was asked. To summarize the opinions on Reddit:
- Many people believe that Azure certification is valuable to add to one’s CV because it can help demonstrate a deeper understanding of the cloud platform and its capabilities.
- There are also some examples of developers making good money working with Azure without certificates.
- Additionally, some employers may place additional value on certifications when evaluating job candidates, which can help boost your chances of getting hired in today’s competitive job market.
- However, it is important to know that simply having an Azure certification doesn’t guarantee success in your career. You must also have adequate knowledge and experience with the platform to be successful.
A general conclusion is this: if the company uses Azure services, it will probably be willing to pay you to get
How can you get started with Azure certification today?
If you haven’t had a chance to work with Azure or have very little experience working with it, I recommend starting with the AZ-900 Azure fundamentals exam. It covers the basics of the Azure platform and its services.
The exam usually costs $99 if you live in the United States.
But here is the thing: you don’t have to pay anything for it.
Well, here are the steps you can take to attend the AZ-900 exam without paying for it:
- Go to https://mvtd.events.microsoft.com/ and find the “Microsoft Azure Virtual Training Day: Fundamentals” event that suits your date and time.
- Register for the event.
- Attend day 1 and day 2 of the workshops.
- After you finish, about 5 days after the training, you’ll get an email stating that you can take the AZ-900 without any cost.
- Then go to https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/certifications/exams/az-900, click on the yellow Schedule with Pearson VUE button and fill out the form.
- One of the steps will contain a field where you can claim 100% off to take the AZ-900.
- Study for the exam.
- Pass the exam.
You can repeat the above steps with some other fundamental exams, i.e., DP-900.
What are some of the best resources when preparing for the AZ-900 exam?
If you are thinking about starting your Azure certification journey, AZ-900 is probably the first exam you want to take. Some good resources for studying for this exam include:
- Microsoft Learn resources – official resources will show you what you need to know about particular Azure topics to pass the exam. Even though they are valuable resources, I think they are not enough to pass the exam.
- John Savill – One of the best ways to prepare for the AZ-900 is to go to John’s playlist. He explains every topic in detail and shows practical examples inside Azure Portal.
- Adam Marczak – Honorary mention. I haven’t gone through Adam’s playlist while studying for the exam. However, I have watched many other videos from him. And his explanations are some of the best you can find on YouTube regarding Azure.
You can also connect with other developers in online forums and communities to get advice on preparing for the exam. Ultimately, choosing a study plan that works best for you is important based on your learning style and schedule.
Wondering if getting Azure certified is the right decision for you? Here are a few things to consider.
At a high level, Azure certification can be beneficial in many ways. First, it demonstrates your knowledge and expertise with the Microsoft Azure platform, which can help you stand out to potential employers and land jobs in the field.
Additionally, many employers place additional value on certifications when evaluating job candidates, which can give you an advantage over other job seekers.
Of course, Azure certification is not a guarantee of success in your career. To be successful with the platform, you must have adequate knowledge and experience working with it. And even if you do have these skills, getting certified takes time and effort. You’ll need to study for the exam and invest in any necessary training and resources.
But if you are a C# developer, getting certified with Azure can open new job opportunities and better work roles. And that alone can make Azure certifications worth the effort.